Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

After the Last War - OOC

Go down 
+4
Anna
Kenzia Lamwald
Smilingotter
JulianAmici
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Cogsworth
Supervisory Special Agent
Cogsworth

After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 3:41 pm

**Note: re-posted this from Da'ren's thread. Probably should have put it here to begin with in case anyone else was wondering about embedding the JIC rolls. Olivia, Pat, whoever -- feel free to delete it out of Da'ren's discussion.

Interesting Intro post, Steven. It lets us know a little bit about the Inu yokai.

You forgot your "Just in case" rolls, though. They're not that tricky to put in. Just go to http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/. You don't have to register for the site to use it. I didn't.
You put in your Name, how many rolls you want (which is usually just gonna stay one) and then the dice on the bottom one. Pat told me a trick where you can actually separate your rolls by commas in the dice box to get multiple results. For my three JIC rolls, I put "1d20, 1d20, 1d20" in the Dice box and got my three results. Once you "Roll the Dice", it takes you to a page where it puts the roll link in code. You just copy the bbc link and then post it into your post like this:
Code:
[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4009349/]1d20, 1d20, 1d20=[20], [4], [4][/url]
It will show up like this:
1d20, 1d20, 1d20=[20], [4], [4]

You can change the text in the link outside the brackets how you want and it'll still leave the link for Pat. I would change the above like this:
Code:
[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4009349/]JIC=20, 4, 4[/url]
which would show up like this:
JIC=20, 4, 4

It's the same link, just changes how it shows in the post. Hope this helps,

T.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Or, I could use this board's built in dice roller (which I did), which posts under Liv's handle under your post. I just deleted that post and cut'n'pasted it into the bottom of the text. That was my JIC roll. I just assumed they would explain what I was writing.

BTW, I deleted that other post from Da'ren for you.

Oh, and I'm rolling a single d20, which will show up in the post after this one.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet
Concept: Aquamancer/Soothsayer
Race/Origin: Tuatha de Danaan (Fae)

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 3:45 pm

The member 'Gideon Shaw' has done the following action : Dice roll

'd20' : 11
Back to top Go down
https://somag.rpg-board.net
Cogsworth
Cogsworth

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Gideon Shaw wrote:
BTW, I deleted that other post from Da'ren for you.
Thanks.
Gideon Shaw wrote:
Or, I could use this board's built in dice roller (which I did), which posts under Liv's handle under your post. I just deleted that post and cut'n'pasted it into the bottom of the text. That was my JIC roll. I just assumed they would explain what I was writing.

Not everyone can roll, post, quote, and delete like you can. The invisible Castle site that Pat asked us to use makes it consistent for everyone. I think he and Olivia looked at how the board works with die rolling and he decided that Invisible Castle would be a little easier and more consistent for all.

Gideon Shaw wrote:
The member 'Gideon Shaw' has done the following action : Dice roll

#1 'd20' : 15 + 7 (Perception) = 22

--------------------------------

#2 'd20' : 5 + 4 (Sense Motive) = 9

--------------------------------

#3 'd20' : 17 + 7 (Perception) = 24
Also, I took this (once your edit went through) as skill checks to back up some of what you were doing in the post since you labeled them. My understanding is that JIC rolls are just straight d20 rolls that Pat can use if he makes something happen we don't expect. For instance, if he starts a fight, he might use one for your perception to see if you notice the bad guys (and get to act in surprise) and one of the rolls for your initiative.

T.
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 4:46 pm

only thing I don't like about the board's roller is how much it inflates the post rate needlessly. Given I get an email for EVERY post that comes through, I'd rather not have a bunch because of dice rolls (note I don't know that I do, but I'd rather avoid it to be certain). That's why I decided to go with Invisible Castle. The rolls don't detract from the flow of the story.

Gideon Shaw wrote:
Hey, everything he asked for was right there at the top. Razz
Yeah, but I want the info in the sig so I don't have to go looking in case of things getting heavy. If all I need is a reflex save from everyone, then a simple look back at your posts for the first JIC and your reflex save is easy-peasy. If I have to go to your thread, open your sheet, and THEN look, it gets a bit more complicated. Suddenly my quick fireball and scatter of you becomes a much bigger issue. Also, if it's in your sig, it's easier in case another player needs to know your touch AC (in case they need to hit you with a potion of healing - yes you can use potions of healing as splash weapons and they'll heal their primary target, or hurt in the case of corporeal undead).

That said Steven, I won't (and can't) MAKE you put the info in your sig. I will, however, highly suggest it for everyone's ease.

----------------------------------------

Just in Case rolls:
Often times when GMing you will find yourself needing players to make a on the spot check for something. ("Give me a perception check; ok, you see this"). In a Play by Post format, it is much harder to handle those kinds of rolls. It may take a day or two before you can get the player on IM, or to respond to PMs or OOC posts. Instead, we use that are called Just in Case rolls for this. Each post you make gives me a body of rolls I can refer back to in case I need rolls. There's an earthquake. I need a reflex save to see if you fall on your ass. Check the JIC rolls from last post. Grab one, apply your reflex save, and voila done. I can continue with my narrative based on that information.

Tony does have a point, only you, I, and Olivia can do that roll/post/delete trick. Also the entire point of using a site like IC is to provide an easily seen record of your rolls. I REALLY suggest everyone sign up for an account there. Then when you make rolls you can type why you are making said roll, what campaign it's for, etc.
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:31 pm

okay, Adriana's background isn't done, but it's at least started and the basics are down. For the record, the writer of the letter is simply another cousin (several times removed) who knows her story, but not her.
Back to top Go down
Neysa
Neysa

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: General note to all players   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I know this is the nature of play by post, but...

bounce
but...
bounce
but...it sure it quiet around here. Pasha wants to play! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm sorry. I think you're waiting on me....it's been just a little crazy. I will find a way to post on Friday evening at the latest.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 pm

The "official" dice roller page is also offline. We could use the board's built-in roller, and afterwards I or Liv or Pat could delete the extraneous post, or we could exercise some trust and just take our individual words for it and roll it the old fashioned way. Just sayin'.

As for me, personally, I've been sick since yesterday, and I've been reading a book since Saturday. So, I've been distracted.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 pm

huzzah, huzzah I managed a post. bounce bounce bounce Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Neysa
Neysa

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 1:06 am

yay! cheers
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 12:14 am

Hey guys, from here on out, I don't mind if you introduce a minor NPC, and even say a line for them as part of your post, but I need you to do two things for me:

One, use a different color for their speech. Green or Red work, but anything readable is fine.
Two, do it sparingly. Especially as we move to a more traditional adventuring paradigm. As GM I want control over ALL NPCs, just as I would in a table top session. In this situation it's a bit more forgiving (since there are a bunch of nameless NPCs I never had any expectation of them being fleshed out), but as we get more into it, there will be less and less chances to do so.

Also, you can never dictate what another character does, not even a NPC. Again, in this situation it's more forgivable, but in general, you can control you and that's it. You can intend to affect someone else in a way, and write your post to that effect.
Good:
Quote :
Blarth looks mean and intimidating as he stares down the small gnome. "I want my package half pint"
Bad:
Quote :
The gnome quakes in his boots as Blarth stares him down. "I want my package half pint"

Nothing done to now is necessarily wrong, but it should be taken into account for future posts please. And if you need a response from me and I'm not responding, IM, Call, or message me on facebook to get my butt onto the site. Smile

As for the dice roller - if IC is down for some reason, yes use the board's roller. It's a good backup.

Edited the posting format post to include this info.
Back to top Go down
Neysa
Neysa

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 am

Thank you! Tony was proofing my draft for my next post, and I definitely had some things I will need to edit. They weren't BAD, they would have been in character (from my perception), but it still would have been making a decision for another PC.

I was going to make Izora mumble in reaction to Pasha, but maybe she wouldn't want to mumble. What if she wanted to smack me up side the head...but then, she couldn't do that either. She could just INTEND to do that, because maybe I have insane Dodge, and I don't want to get smacked in the head...but then, if she decided to roll for it and got a 20, then we could end up having a knock-down drag out fight in the middle of the party, and Hundwin would have to separate us because Skjoldur would be taking bets and Da'ren would be in a tizzy and Issomil would run screaming from the room, a half-eaten strawberry tart flying from her hand...and Cogsworth would be oblivious to it all. But I can't say that.

It's late and I can't brain any more. But wanted to say thanks and I hope to have a post for you tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 am

http://community.wizards.com/coga/wiki/Eberron_Fashion

Neat article
Back to top Go down
TheMaskedFerret
TheMaskedFerret

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 am

Understood about the NPCs.

and definitely a neat article.
Back to top Go down
TheMaskedFerret
TheMaskedFerret

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Pat, what do you think of this dice rolling website? http://www.pbegames.com/sessions/?data=cxi00MU4kMJ%2FH7hfBGRIww%3D%3D
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 7:23 pm

My roll to notice Da'ren sneaking up on Skjoldur:

5 plus
Random number (1,20) :
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Hundwin's course of action is entirely dependent on what the GM tells him he perceives. If he determines that there's a threat, he will seek to neutralize the source of said threat. I'd like to apologize in advance to Glen if he has to roll up a new character. Wink
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 pm

I'll get a reply up after this weekend guys. Right now it's off to bed so I can get up stupid early.
Back to top Go down
Neysa
Neysa

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Between the Breaking News and the Massive Milledgeville Selling of Yards, we all understand that Life has you by the ... er, well, we understand that you are afk for a while.

Don't worry about us. While the GM's away, the PC's will play! Cool
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 am

Perhaps, while Da'ren is foppishly stealthing up on Skjoldur, the band can start playing high-pitched violin music like they do in cartoons whenever one character is trying to sneak up on another.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 pm

JulianAmici wrote:
The breaking of the glass causes everyone in the room to turn and the low music to stop. However, never let it be said that Da'ren hires slow musicians. From the second they see Da'ren in his exagerated pose, the music starts anew, with each of his movements being echoed by the music, and a countering low and slow movement that matches to the dour dwarf's expressions.

(Note to GM when determining XP: +100 XP to Steven)

LOL! and Thank you! clown
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Good ideas are good ideas. Smile
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 pm

JulianAmici wrote:
Tand a countering low and slow movement that matches to the dour dwarf's expressions.

Perhaps something akin to a nice Mandalorian chant. Reminds me a lot of the dwarven pieces from LOTR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao1HQAPRSwo

Of course, "Misty Mountains" would also be appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v65ffiQvo6A

Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After the Last War - OOC   After the Last War - OOC - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

After the Last War - OOC
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Southern Magic :: Gaming :: D&D & Pathfinder :: Current Campaigns :: After the Last War (Pathfinder Eberron)-
Jump to: