Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

Shadowrun meets real life

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

Shadowrun meets real life Empty
PostSubject: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 6:09 pm

We needed a thread where we can discuss topics where real life imitates Shadowrun.

I'll start:

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en/project#start

A four propeller, two camera drone, which one controls with an I-Phone.
Back to top Go down
Kenzia Lamwald
Admin
Kenzia Lamwald

Character sheet
Concept: Aquamancer/Soothsayer
Race/Origin: Tuatha de Danaan (Fae)

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm

ok wow scary
Back to top Go down
https://somag.rpg-board.net
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Not really, I WANT one Smile Of course that would require getting an iphone or ipod touch - but it'd be worth it!
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Maybe the new iPad... once they upgrade it to do things that a laptop will do. Shadowrun meets real life Icon_clown
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Ordinary T-shirts could become body armor

A simple cotton T-shirt may one day be converted into tougher, more comfortable body armor for soldiers or police officers.

Researchers at the University of South Carolina, collaborating with others from China and Switzerland, drastically increased the toughness of a T-shirt by combining the carbon in the shirt’s cotton with boron – the third hardest material on earth. The result is a lightweight shirt reinforced with boron carbide, the same material used to protect tanks.

Article continures Here.
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 5:23 pm

That's all kinds of nifty
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 9:25 pm

From the people who brought you Big Dog (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azoWDlZGImU)

New and improved Little Dog (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYo9Whssla8)

Creepy little thing...
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 7:43 pm

It's not creepy - it honestly looks like a baby dog or cat learning to walk. Its kinda cool.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:09 pm

More Battletech than Shadowrun, but no less cool:

Gauss rifle
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:10 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/24/armys-revolutionary-rifle-use-afghanistan/#ixzz16hUnSslN

U.S. Army Unveils 'Revolutionary' XM25 Rifle in Afghanistan

By Joshua Rhett Miller

The XM25, designed by Minnesota's Alliant Techsystems, has been in development for about seven years and the first prototypes have been doled out to combat units in Afghanistan earlier this month. The 12-pound, 29-inch system, which costs up to $35,000 per unit, is so sophisticated that soldiers are proficient users literally within minutes. (U.S. Army) slideshow

The XM25, designed by Minnesota's Alliant Techsystems, has been in development for about seven years and the first prototypes have been doled out to combat units in Afghanistan earlier this month. The 12-pound, 29-inch system, which costs up to $35,000 per unit, is so sophisticated that soldiers are proficient users literally within minutes. (U.S. Army)

Since the dawn of modern warfare, the best way to stay alive in the face of incoming fire has been to take cover behind a wall. But thanks to a game-changing "revolutionary" rifle, the U.S. Army has made that tactic dead on arrival. Now the enemy can run, but he can't hide.

After years of development, the U.S. Army has unleashed a new weapon in Afghanistan -- the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, a high-tech rifle that can be programmed so that its 25-mm. ammunition detonates either in front of or behind a target, meaning it can be fired just above a wall before it explodes and kills the enemy.

It also has a range of roughly 2,300 feet -- nearly the length of eight football fields -- making it possible to fire at targets well past the range of the rifles and carbines that most soldiers carry today.

Lt. Col. Christopher Lehner, project manager for the semi-automatic, shoulder-fired weapon system for the U.S. Army's Program Executive Office Soldier, said that the XM25's capability alone is such a "game-changer" that it'll lead to new ways of fighting on the battlefield, beginning this month in Afghanistan.

"With this weapon system, we take away cover from [enemy targets] forever," Lehner told FoxNews.com on Wednesday. "Tactics are going to have to be rewritten. The only thing we can see [enemies] being able to do is run away."

And that would make it much easier for U.S. troops to put them in their sights, either with that same XM25 or another direct-fire weapon.

With this new weapon in the Army's arsenal, Lehner said, "We're much more effective, by many magnitudes, than current weapons at the squad level. We're able to shoot farther and more accurately, and our soldiers can stay behind sandbags, walls or rocks, which provides them protection from fire."

Lehner said the first XM25s were distributed to combat units in Afghanistan this month. The 12-pound, 29-inch system, which was designed by Minnesota's Alliant Techsystems, costs up to $35,000 per unit and, while highly sophisticated, is so easy to use that soldiers become proficient within minutes.

"That's how intuitively easy it is, even though it's high-tech," Lehner said. "All a soldier needs to know how to do is laze the target. It decimates anything within its lethal radius."

Once the trigger is pulled and the round leaves the barrel, a computer chip inside the projectile communicates exactly how far it has traveled, allowing for precise detonation behind or ahead of any target.

"We have found that this has really made our soldiers so much more accurate and being able to deliver this high-explosive round in about five seconds," said Lehner, taking into account the time it takes a soldier to laze, aim and fire the weapon. Once fired, Lehner said, the round will reach its target in a "second or two," meaning the entire process from aiming to direct hit lasts less than 10 seconds, compared to 10 minutes or longer for traditional mortar fire.

A potential battlefield scenario, according to Army officials, might go something like this:

-- A patrol encounters an enemy combatant in a walled Afghan village who fires an AK-47 intermittently from behind cover, exposing himself only for a brief second to fire.

-- The patrol's leader calls for the XM25 gunman, who uses the weapon's laser range finder to calculate the distance to the target.

-- He then uses an incremental button located near the trigger to add 1 meter to the round's distance, since the enemy is hiding behind a wall.

-- The round is fired, and it explodes with a blast comparable to a hand grenade past the wall and above the enemy.

"This is revolutionary for many reasons," Lehner said, citing increased efficiency, safety and lethality. "This is the first time we're putting smart technology in an individual weapon system for our soldiers. We feel it's very important to field this because it keeps us ahead of the technological curve of our potential enemies. We have a feeling other people will try to copy us -- this is the future."

Lehner said the Army plans to purchase at least 12,500 XM25 systems beginning next year -- enough for one system in each infantry squad and Special Forces team.

The military isn't overly concerned that the weapon might be captured by the enemy, because they would be unable to obtain its highly specialized ammunition, batteries and other components. Lehner said he expects other nations will try to copy its technology, but it will be very cost-prohibitive.

"This is a game-changer," Lehner said. "The enemy has learned to get cover, for hundreds if not thousands of years.

"Well, they can't do that anymore. We're taking that cover from them and there's only two outcomes: We're going to get you behind that cover or force you to flee. So no matter what, we gotcha."

Shadowrun meets real life Xm25640
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:23 pm

The XM-25 is an ugly beast.

I WANT ONE!
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Also notice that the soldier is using the Army's new camo - Multicam. Originally it lost out to the digital camo pattern for their ACU's, but some spec ops teams went with it, and it was also made available to the civilian market. Recently, the Army decided to issue it to our troops in Afghanistan.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Not exactly cybernetic - but close:

http://eyeborgproject.com/
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 pm

While not what I'd consider "there" yet, this one is really close:

"Terminator" prosthetic arm
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 am

That is flipping awesome!
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 10:02 pm

And let's add synthetic, self-healing skin that's sensitive to the touch to that...

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-11/stanford-researchers-create-self-healing-synthetic-skin-sensitive-touch

Skynet is pleased.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Dear Santa -

I've been an especially good boy this year.

- Tom
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 7:19 pm

I'd like to see somebody use one of these things on some ballistic gelatin. Just to see how lethal they are.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 9:25 pm

They list it as 10.87 joules of muzzle energy, which is about half of what a standard air gun produces. (The lowly .22 produces 159J.)

Still and all, for a prototype it's significant progress, and I still want one... bounce 
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 7:51 am

Tactical Google Glass:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/19/google-glass-gets-an-app-to-power-the-cyber-cops-and-futuristic-firefighters-of-tomorrow/

Quote :
Google Glass has lots of potential applications beyond just making it easier for people to check out their Twitter feed without taking their phones out of their pockets. Mutualink is demoing one such app today at APCO, a conference for public safety communications, with its Glass App for police, firefighters and first responders.

The app would allow public safety officers and officials to communicate in real-time via streaming video from the scene, as well as to receive and view key documents, including things like building schematics, medical records of victims, live feeds of security cameras in the area and more.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 am

For some reason I'm thinking of the EyePhone from Futurama.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Not particularly Shadowrun-ish, but interesting nonetheless:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/63/

The webcomic XKCD, every Tuesday, answers someone's question on a scientific subject.  (The questions are usually...odd.)  The one above was to answer "how many datacards would it take to store all the information on all of Google's servers?"

What follows is a pretty thorough analysis of exactly how much data Google is sitting on, along with the NSA and other interests out there.  It wouldn't be particularly difficult to adapt information like that to Shadowrun/Cyberpunk and the like.

Also, like all the other XKCD comics, mousing over the drawings will bring up amusing text boxes.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 7:56 am

Need to look good, and stay safe at the same time? Perhaps you should be wearing a suit from Garrison Bespoke, a Canadian menswear company. They're stylish, but offer good ballistic protection (up to .45 caliber.)

http://garrisonbespoke.com/custom-suits/bulletproof-suit/

Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Neat, well we've hit armored clothing from the earliest SR games Smile
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 4:56 pm

We're also back to the $400 cell phones of Cyberpunk 2020. I mean, have you priced an iPhone recently? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shadowrun meets real life   Shadowrun meets real life I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shadowrun meets real life
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next