Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 9:52 am

Okay, I only saw bits and pieces of last night's episode of Defiance. I kinda got caught up in the Dancing with the Stars finale. I like to watch pretty girls dance. Bite me.

So, anyway, what I did see, I like the Casti villain dude. He was funny. Also, I think we can add two more useful words to the Defiance slang lexicon: chupp (or possibly "chuff", although the closed caption spelled it "chupp") and ja-ja. Chupp, as used by Kenya, would seem to indicate that is a vulgar term similar in use to frak or fuck. I don't know if this is an actual alien word or a corruption of the Yiddish "schtupp". "Ja-ja" we've heard from the beginning, and from context means "money."

Anyhoo, I'll catch it on HULU today and give a better take on it later.

Last edited by Gideon Shaw on Tue May 21, 2013 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Good episode, though the bit with Kenya reminds me of a Simpsons episode, when Bart gets a girlfriend who variously hangs all over him, and barely acknowledges his existence. At one point she asks Bart what he wants and he tells her "For you to act the same way two days in a row!"

I'm glad the ex-mayor's pet weasel is done. Not as bad as the Earl's lieutenant in "Vikings" but no reason to want to keep him alive.

And Madis really was dumb to spill the beans at the end. Obviously he never read Uncle Remus.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Sukar is the Irathient Jeebus!
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Quite an episode. And ex-mayor isn't the "villain you love to hate" type. More the "she has no redeeming qualities and I want her to die or leave town forever" type. And elder brother Luke was either a Jedi or a Cylon.

Mr. and Mrs. Tarr are both fun characters, but Stahma has the added advantage of being fun to look at. Tony Curran, not so much.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 pm

It was a double dose of Jaime Murray last night 'cause she was on Warehouse 13, too.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Good episode this week.  (Though I hated seeing Doc Yewll dealing with the ex-Mayor.  I really hate the ex-Mayor.)  Sort of a shame they got the cure before someone lived long enough to reach Stage 4 of the disease - I was hoping to see someone go all zombie on the townsfolk.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:46 am

Yeah, I thought the disease was supposed to be zombie-fied, too!  It was just the generic disease episode that every sci-fi show is "supposed" to have.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Very cool episode 10...  the last scene with Irisa was a hoot.

One bit I question though:  the astronaut McClintock is revealed to be a Cylon Indogene spy by his silver blood.  But when ex-mayor Nikki was staying at the McCauley house recently, she used her own red blood to trick Rafe.  Reckon she was just a later model?
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Probably. It also explains why she's evil.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 7:20 pm

MacCawley certainly has style with his family counseling sessions.

"...this marriage will end. And I do not believe in divorce."

I do like Alak though. Hopefully he can free himself from his parents' influence.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 pm

He would be well served to become more MacCawley than Tarr.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 10:58 am

Interesting finale...

I'm not sure about the E-Rep.  Doesn't seem like a government that ruthless and heavy-handed would go to all the trouble they did to get control of the town.  Looking forward to seeing Nolan channeling his inner bad guy next season...
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Here's what I got from it: I think it would be easier to list who DIDN'T get shot or killed. They damn near tried to wipe out the entire primary cast and most of the secondaries.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Well, Kenya is *probably* dead, but possibly not. Mr and Mrs Tarr are *probably* alive, but possibly not. I'm sure McCawley will be ok. And I certainly hope Irisa just knocked the Doctor out "like she diid last time."

Sukar might be up and around now, or it might have been just another vision. (Hard to tell with him.)
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 7:03 pm

I said "shot OR killed."  Rafe got shot.  Nolan got shot (and died, technically).  Kenya got dead.  The Tarrs might as well be dead, unless they figure some way to stay in Defiance.  Colonel Evil is dead.  Black Jonah is dead.  Lots and lots of E-Rep and mercs got dead.  Mostly from being shot.  It's like they were trying to outdo Game of Thrones for killing off and/or removing major characters.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm hoping next season we'll get to see a Gulanee - they're the energy based race. A recurring Gulanee character would be even cooler.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 10:04 pm

I'd like to see a 99er, one of the cybernetic baddies that's supposed to be in the game.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm listening to this week's "Across the Badlands" after-episode wrap up (and game discussion) and one of the hosts pointed out how well Nolan was demonstrating the proper way to handle a firearm, specifically keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until you need to fire. Apparently Grant Bowler's dad is a gunsmith, so I doubt he needed much instruction for the role.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Season premier: excellent, for all sorts of reasons. And not only did they get Trace Adkins to do the closing song, but it was written for the show. "Across the storm divide."
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 6:48 am

The show's good on details, too. Like Irisa's hair. It's longer this season, like it had grown during the hiatus, which is a neat touch since it's a wig.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 7:29 pm

With Hulu releasing episodes on their own mysterious timetable, I just got to watch the one with the Gulanee. Having a club for Castithan posers is odd. Having William Atherton's character going there is real odd.

Good episode, despite having so little Graham Greene in it.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 8:11 pm

I have to get caught up On Demand. Last week was a two hour block, and I was tired. Still haven't caught up yet, and this week's season finale is another two hour block.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 6:42 pm

OK, finally got to watch the finale (Hulu keeps its own schedule...) and really liked it. Datak and Stahma make quite the couple, don't they? (The raid on the prison camp was great.)

And an exchange between Pottinger and Nolan got a laugh out of me.
"You're a bully. And bullies don't care for fair fights, do they?"
"We prefer results."
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 5:24 am

The fact that the Tarrs and Rafe Macauley are all allies now considering that they were at one another's throats at the beginning of season 1 is pretty nifty, too.

Just heard that Defiance has been renewed for a third season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next