Southern Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum For the Southern Magic Game group in Atlanta

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the newest Writing Challenge.

Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet
Concept: The Kicker of Asses
Race/Origin: Hybrid (Fae/Dragon)

Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 9:42 am

I wonder how they're gonna explain those "charge" knives. Datak and Alak Tarr both have one, and they both extrude a blue double-dagger blade, but in episode 2, Birch used a charge knife to free Ben, and Birch's knife had a red blade that looked like a fanciful Bowie-style blade. Are they supposed to be like lightsabers? Or are they some kind of molecular memory metal? Some kind of charged crystal? If they don't have a reasonable explanation, then, it's just stupid.
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm

My guess is a magnetically held plasma blade - it looks like different kinds of plasma style energy. The color difference could simply be "I want a red one."
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 5:38 pm

I'd certainly get one if it was available.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 pm

I have turned to that Oracle of All Knowledge Worth Knowing, aka the Internet, to find the answer to what the hell a charge knife is. Technically, the technology is called a Charge Blade.

Quote :
Charge blades consist of a metal hilt that produces a blade of hard light. When activated, a monofilament in the shape of the blade extends from the hilt, forming an energy field. The technology was developed by the Indogenes for use as a surgical tool (since nothing’s as sterile as a laser), but it was quickly adopted by the Castithans, who appreciate the elegance and panache of a blade. Dead bodies left in the street with their throat slit are a calling card of the Castithan mafia – a clear warning for anyone foolish enough to cross them.

So, it's a light saber after all. A laser contained by a monofilament "shape". Okay. Then, it isn't the laser doing the cutting. It's a monomolecular cutting edge, which is apparently sterilized by a laser. At least, that's the sensible way I'm gonna think about it.

ETA:
Quote :
If they don't have a reasonable explanation, then, it's just stupid.

I was right. It is stupid.

Last edited by Gideon Shaw on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Oh, BTW, don't get me started on "Cold-Fire". What is "bionetic" energy? I don't know. When I Google it, I get links to the Star Trek wiki. Ergo, made-up TV fantasy science. Could they at least pretend to have done some research into realistic military technologies?
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Seems most of the characters have their own Twitter accounts...

Mayor Amanda Rosewater
https://twitter.com/AmandaRosewater

Doc Yewll
https://twitter.com/DocYewll

Rafe McCawley
https://twitter.com/RafeMcCawley_

Joshua Nolan
https://twitter.com/No_Man_Nolan

Sukar (leader of the Spirit Riders)
https://twitter.com/SukarDefiance

Kenya Rosewater
https://twitter.com/KenyaRosewater

Irisa
https://twitter.com/IrisaDefiance

Alak
https://twitter.com/AlakTarr

Christie McCawley
https://twitter.com/ChristiMcCawley

Quentin McCawley
https://twitter.com/QuentinMcCawley

Stahma
https://twitter.com/StahmaTarr

Datak
https://twitter.com/DatakTarr
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:22 am

You missed Deputy Tommy LaSalle
https://twitter.com/DeputyTommy
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:41 pm

The first four minutes of next week's new episode. Four words for you: Tai Chi with knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEi4DA6Y6Q&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I was watching the repeat of this week's episode, and a thought occurred to me re Stahma Tarr and Christy McCawley: it's the scene where Stahma goes to the diner where Christy works (the same railroad car where Evil Ex-Mayor Nicky met with Evil Blue Sunglasses Wearing Minion Mr. Birch), and Stahma is being encouraging to Christy to continue with her plans to marry Alak, even going so far as to tell the tale of how Datak won her hand by arranging for the accidental decompression of Stahma's arranged fiance. Anyhow, Stahma seems to genuinely like Christy, but the thought occurs to me that does Stahma really likes Christy or is she just playing like she likes her son's fiance in order to forward her plans to eventually gain control of the mines?
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 11:27 pm

Could be one, could be the other, could be both. From what I've read, she's from one of the high level castes, but women in her race can't have any (overt) power. So she becomes sort of a kinder, gentler Lady MacBeth, seeing to it that hubby makes the best decisions (and probably doing it in a way that lets him think everything is his idea.)
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:01 am

For those with a Kindle, Merry Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEKPL7Q?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393177&creativeASIN=B00CEKPL7Q&linkCode=shr&tag=talapres-20&=digital-text&qid=1366984008&sr=1-1&keywords=defiance+the+essential+guide
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Last minute reminder, tonight at 9pm, new episode of Defiance: "The Devil in the Dark." Not to be confused with the classic Trek episode of the exact same name.

Coincidence or homage?
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Apparently charge blades have variable geometry blades.

Also, hellbugs are icky. I understand that the only reason the entire species hasn't been wiped out is because they eat gulanite and shtako petrohol, the fuel that all their vehicles run on. They're like those lemurs that eat coffee beans and shit gold bricks of Kona coffee. Only icky.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Datak's blade: cool.

Cooking Votan river otters: not cool.

Cooking Votan river otters badly: even less cool.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Not realizing your future daughter-in-law speaks Castithan when you insult her cooking: least cool of all.

Engaging in sweaty, half-nekkid ritual with Nolan's adopted daughter while Nolan is watching: kinda cool, actually. Not terribly smart or nice, but still kinda cool.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Gideon Shaw wrote:
Engaging in sweaty, half-nekkid ritual with Nolan's adopted daughter while Nolan is watching: kinda cool, actually. Not terribly smart or nice, but still kinda cool.

Trivia for today: Noah Danby (the guy who accomplished the above, Sukar) was once married to Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3.)
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Well, we do know that Kristanna will sleep with anything...
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Watched the rerun of last week's ep, Devil in the Dark, and had to laugh when Nolan sent Tommy to help Irisa, and Tommy comes back with a bloody forehead. "She threw me off the roller."
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:52 pm

"A Well Respected Man" may be the best episode so far, at least since the pilot. I wasn't sure if Nolan was threatening Stahma or complimenting her there at the end. I've about decided that it was a little of both. Lady MacBeth would be proud.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm of the opinion that churches that teach the concept of wifely submission could learn a thing or three from Stahma. She does what Datak tells her, but she still manages to get what she wants and to direct him in the best direction for their family. Like they said in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the man is the head of the house, but the woman is neck, and the neck moves the head wherever she wants.

ETA: Datak is a good example of a submitted husband, too, now that I think about it. He puts Stahma on a pedestal, and he is in charge, but he allows himself to be directed, and he lets Stahma do her thing because it usually works out for him, ie Stahma maneuvering Amanda into appointing Datak to the town council.

Also, what the frak is going on down in the L7 shaft? (other than it's square)? I'm wondering if that artifact is Votan at all. It'd be a neat story if it was alien, but not Votan.
Back to top Go down
Smilingotter
Asst. Director
Smilingotter

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm

My guess is that the artifact is either what the ex-mayor is looking for, or is connected to it.

Also, very good points about the Tarr family dynamic. They're both very smartly using each other's strong points to advance themselves.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Actually, I think the thing that Lucas found is the "key" to the "artifact" that Evil Mayor MacEvil is looking for.
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: The Kiss   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: the kiss

I TOLD YOU!!!!! bwahahaha!
Back to top Go down
Gideon Shaw
Admin
Gideon Shaw

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Kiss? What kiss? That was a full-on frak. Nothing romantic there. That was all animal passion. Now, the question will be whether or not it leads to a relationship. Is Tommy gonna pull a Leonard ("our children will be smart and have funny looking eyes"), and will Irisa shoot him down or string him along? She's damaged goods. I can't see her in a healthy relationship beyond her and Nolan. Speaking of Nolan, he's not gonna react well to his deputy frakking his daughter.
Back to top Go down
JulianAmici
Asst. Director
JulianAmici

Character sheet
Concept:
Race/Origin:

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:56 am

In my defense, when I posted that, they were only kissing. Then it turned into the full on fracking. Nolan and the Mayor were toasting when I hit submit. Smile And I never said they'd last, only that they would end up in a romance of some sort - and as Buffy taught us, a purely physical relationship is still a relationship (granted a screwy relationship - no pun intended, but a relationship none the less).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion   Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shootin' the Shtahko: Defiance Discussion
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next